University of Michigan
Founded in 1817 as the “Catholepistemiad of Detroit,” the University of Michigan was the first public university in the Northwest Territories. In 1821, the name changed to the University of Michigan, and it moved to Ann Arbor in 1837.
U-M enrolled its first students in Ann Arbor in 1841. The university had only two professors who taught six freshmen and one sophomore. The five campus buildings consisted of four faculty homes and one classroom/residence hall building. The faculty’s farm animals grazed over the campus, and much of the campus was fenced in to keep the city’s and the university’s animals separated.
By the 1860s, U-M was viewed as a model for younger state and public universities because it was the largest (with 1,205 enrolled students) and most successful. It remained an all-male school until Madelon Stockwell was admitted in the winter of 1870.
Today, U-M is one of the most distinguished public universities and a leader in higher education attracting top students and faculty from all over the world. Its size (more than 40,000 students), academic strength, impressive resources, and quality of its research provides an environment where students not only learn but also grow and challenge themselves by engaging with new people, cultures and ideas.
The first American to walk in space, the creator of the iPod, the co-founder of Google, and the 38th U.S. president are all Michigan alumni.
Transfer Information: Start Here!
NCCC - MICHIGAN Transfer Course Equivalents
MICHIGAN General Education Requirements
To schedule a meeting with an NCCC transfer advisor, or for any other transfer-related information, please call The Center for Student Development at 860. 738. 6420.